Fire razes two houses in Ikeja

Two houses on different streets along Cement bus stop, Ikeja, Lagos State, were on Monday gutted.

Daily Independent investigations revealed that the first incident occurred at No 8, Olukowi Street, while the second was at Aikulola, in the same area.

According to an eyewitness, the Olukowi Street house fire began shortly after the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) restored electricity in the area. “It was not up to a minute after PHCN restored electricity in the area, precisely about 8.45pm, when a cable sparked, causing the house to burn.”

It was learnt that efforts were made to reach the fire service, while people rushed to put out the blaze in their absence, but all proved abortive.

READ ALSO  South South group dares Akiolu, drums support for Agbaje

However, no life was lost as residents were rescued on time.

Barely three hours later, another house in Aikulola Street, caught fire, also without any loss of life.

According to a resident, Emeka Uche, the fire that occurred at about 11.25pm “was caused by a house wife who was cooking in the room.”

He also alleged that a neighbour was same time trying to start up his generating set, when the fire occurred, setting the house ablaze.

Despite the slow pace of the fire service, the source said, normalcy was finally restored as they put out the fire.

Another resident at Olukowi Street, Madueke Kenneth, told •••Daily Independent••• that the power issue is endemic as the area is nearly always in a blackout.

Another resident, Akanmu Oladayo, accused the PHCN of being behind all the fire incidents due to inconstant light, lamenting the poor treatment of customers by the power company despite the huge money they pay.

READ ALSO  Ambode Frees Artisan From Air Force Cadets’ Car Trunk

According to one of the victims who does not want her name on print, what pained her most was her school certificate that were destroyed as her parents were not around.

Seyi Arintola pleaded with the governmentnot allow the PHCN to go unpunished as they have not been enjoying the service they render.

Leave a Reply