Home > Judiciary > FIFA Says Obeying Court Order Is interference In NFF Affairs

FIFA Says Obeying Court Order Is interference In NFF Affairs

World football ruling body FIFA on Monday said it would likely consider as interference the implementation of Thursday’s reaffirmation of ruling by the Federal High Court in Jos.

The court had said its October 2014 ruling must be obeyed.

It had nullified the Sept. 30, 2014 election of the Amaju Pinnick-led Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) executive committee.

Since then, the Chris Giwa-led group, which obtained the court order, had said it was going to take over the NFF secretariat, while also making some appointments.

However, in a letter to Pinnick, signed by FIFA acting Secretary General, Markus Kattner, the football body said it would see the implementation of the decision as an interference.

It also warned that it would take the matter to its highest authorities for consideration of sanctions, such as the suspension of NFF, if the court order was implemented.

“In this respect, and first of all, we will Iike to remind you that according t0 articles 13 and 17 of the FIFA Statutes, all members associations have to manage their affairs independently and with no influence from third parties.

READ ALSO:  Oliseh’s Eagles: Ikeme, Simon, Seven Others To Become Regulars

“In addition and according to article 68 of the FIFA Statutes, recourse to ordinary courts of Iaw is prohibited, unless specifically provided for in the FIFA regulations.

“Furthermore, it is the duty of each member association to ensure that these provisions are implemented by its members and possibly take sanctions against those which fail to respect these obligations.

“In view of the above, the decision of the Federal High Court in Jos, if implemented, will likely be considered as an interference in the internal affairs of the NFF.

“The case will be brought to the highest authorities of FIFA for consideration of sanctions, including the suspension of the NFF,” the letter stated.

It also recalled that the Giwa group had already filed an appeal in relation to the same matter with the highest judicial sports authorities, the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).

“The said appeal was dismissed by the CAS on May 18, 2015,” the letter also said.

READ ALSO:  Transfer news and rumours LIVE: Man Utd join race for De Jong