Home > Latest News > Group Sues Army, Demands N3bn Over Ogoni Military Invasion

Group Sues Army, Demands N3bn Over Ogoni Military Invasion

 

The national association of democratic lawyers, NADL, Rivers state branch, has dragged the Nigerian Army, 2nd Amphibious Brigade, Bori Camp to the Federal Court in Port Harcourt over the invasion of Ogoniland which resulted in the dead of some innocent persons last month.

The group is also demanding a compensation of N3billion for the families of the victims allegedly killed by soldiers on February 22 and 23 respectively.

Leading the case, Naabulobari Naazigha-Lue Esq said that it was necessary to take the Army to court so that the families of the victims could get justice for the pains that have been inflicted upon them as a result of their loved ones killed by soldiers.

Naabulobari who listed the names of the deceased to include Mrs Leesi Ndorbu, Linus Nwafor, Bariture Ziboo, Kelechi Nwafor, Kenneth Peter, Joel Suanu Justus, Chikwado Nwankwo and Leekaaga Jackson said the killing in yeghe and Bori was “illegal, unlawful and unconstitutional”.

READ ALSO:  Ibukun Awosika Named As The First Female Chairman Of First Bank

He prayed the court to restrain the Army from further harassment and intimidation of people of Bua-Yeghe and Bori as this was an infringement of their fundamental human rights as guaranteed by the constitution.

The lawyer however stated that though no amount of money could bring back the dead to life, the N3billion compensation was basically to cushion the difficulties the victims’ families suffer as a result of the painful dead of their loved ones.

According to Naabulobari, no individual or agency of government is above the law, hence the Nigerian Army; Bori Camp must be made to pay dearly for its action against the people of Oogni.

“We are asking the court for an order directing the respondent to promptly pay compensation of three billion naira (five hundred million naira each) to the families of the victims”, he said.