Most bachelors love this sauce. It is also a saving grace for married women who want to give their husbands a great serving in quick time. Enter, the egg sauce. Egg sauce is a very simple sauce made with eggs and tomatoes, this is one the easiest egg dips that you can prepare within 15 minutes and it is mostly referred to as tomato egg sauce. Egg sauce can be eaten with boiled plantain, fried potatoes and bread; it spices up many Nigerian foods like boiled rice, yam and chips, this sauce is, however, very tasty no matter how you choose to serve it.
There are different ways to make egg and tomato sauce; a typical egg sauce is commonly prepared with few tomatoes and much eggs, but you can still prepare this sauce with much tomatoes and with your desired quality of eggs, whichever way, the same ingredients are required for this. Add a twist to your tomato egg sauce by using few green vegetables such as green beans, green peppers.
You can use tin tomato to make your egg sauce or use fresh tomatoes to make egg sauce without adding other veggies; this depends on what you want. Carrots, diced chicken, fish or beef gives a further better outlook, flavour and texture.
Egg sauce ingredients
- 3 large eggs
- 5 medium plum tomatoes (you can use tin tomato paste)
- Green beans, chopped
- 1 medium green bell peppers, chopped
- 1½ cup of vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- Garlic, ginger and curry to taste
- 1 seasoning stock cube
- Salt to taste
- 2 scotch bonnet peppers, chopped (dried peppers)
- Dice tomatoes, green pepper, green beans and onions and keep aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the vegetable oil for 20 seconds.
- Reduce the heat to medium and start frying onions and garlic for 30 seconds.
- Add the diced tomatoes, green beans and peppers and stir to combine with the onions
- Don’t add green peppers yet because they are tender; cover the pan and leave the content to cook for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, add green peppers and stir to combine. Season the sauce with one seasoning cube, thyme, curry and ginger and still stir.
- If you have another source of heat, peel and cook yam or potatoes and set aside.
- Taste for salt and add if needed, stir the sauce constantly so that it doesn’t burn. Leave it to cooks for 5 minutes
- Once all the ingredients are well mixed and the tomato is well cooked, whisk egg and pour into the content in circular motion to spread evenly.
- Let the egg set for 2 minutes while on a medium heat before you stir, you want the egg to form lumps in the sauce instead of looking mushy and flat.
- Stir the tomato egg sauce and try breaking some of the egg chunks, take it off from heat and serve with any staple food of your choice.